Degrees and Certifications:
Exceptional Children: Extended content standards / Adapted Curriculum
Ms. Courtney Roy
2020 - A Rainbow of Possibilities
Meet the teachers:
Courtney Roy (teacher) - email@example.com
Ashley Higgins (TA) - firstname.lastname@example.org
Shelly Grimsley (TA) - email@example.com
PHONE 919-989-6039 EXT. 3969 / FAX 919-989-6272 / ROOM #508
I know everyone is experiencing a stress level like none other due not only to the pandemic, but also having a different teacher, staff members, and new classmates, as well as a plethora of difficult to follow social distancing rules. I work closely with my families as you are an integral part and most important stakeholder in your child’s learning experience. Therefore, I will be reaching out to you to hold a virtual meeting where we can ask as many questions as we want! I will do everything in my power to answer any questions I have the answers to and make the transition as smooth as is possible.
As you decide what best fits your family (face-to-face cohort, virtual, virtual academy) please plan accordingly based on how things will look within the Life Skills classroom environment.
- The ability to wear PPE (personal protective equipment) may not be feasible for all students, so your child may be exposed to others not wearing PPE
- Life Skills relies on extensive hand over hand direct support and contact from various staff
- Non-ambulatory students will be transferred from wheelchairs to therapy equipment, floor, and mats and the surfaces like carpeting will be sanitized as is feasible
- Students requiring diapering means repeated close contact with all staff members that have been exposed to the same process with other students
- Manipulatives cannot be shared, so we will request supplies as they arise. Please seal them in containers or ziplocs and use sharpie to clearly label items. Personal items (think feeding supplies, clothing, etc) will have to travel to and from school so that they may be sanitized at your home and returned to school.
1 1” - 1 1/2“ 3 ring binder (hard bound)
1 packet of anti-glare sheet protectors
1 packet of tab dividers for binders
Adapted crayons (egg, fat barreled, or triangular, twistable crayons)
1 complete change of clothes (top, bottom, socks) weather appropriate sealed and labeled in a ziploc bag
1 labeled package of diapers
1 labeled package of chucks (disposable changing pads)
Flip top container or hard surround container with lid to hold: extra adapted feeding utensils, teethers, chewies, pacifiers, etc.
Flip top container or hard surround container with lid to hold extra medical equipment: enteral tubes, diaper creams, diastat / medications, drain sponges, etc.
❤We love and rely on donations such as paper towels, bottled water,
and seasonal crafts ❤
A special called session of Johnston County Board of Education has been called for Thursday, July 29 at 5:00 p.m. in the Evander Simpson Building in Smithfield. The open session portions of the meeting and all announcements will be accessible to the public via the livestream available online.
The deadline is quickly approaching for Johnston County Public Schools families who need transportation for their students during the 2021-2022 school year. Students who will be attending Early College or Career Technical Leadership Academy, which will begin on August 2nd, have until July 22nd to request transportation. Students who will begin school on August 23rd have until August 2nd to request transportation. This date is for all other JCPS Schools on the traditional school calendar.
While face masks are still required in all of our indoor facilities, students, staff, and guests of our campuses are no longer required to wear a face covering when outdoors. Students and staff may continue to wear masks when participating in recess or outdoor activities if they choose to do so.
The online application for the Johnston County Public Schools Preschool Program is now available. Parents who are interested in the JCPS Preschool Program are encouraged to apply early, as availability is on a first come, first served basis. The application window closes on June 30th.