Degrees and Certifications:
Exceptional Children: Extended content standards / Adapted Curriculum
Ms. Courtney Roy
2020 - A Rainbow of Possibilities
Meet the teachers:
Courtney Roy (teacher) - email@example.com
Ashley Higgins (TA) - firstname.lastname@example.org
Shelly Grimsley (TA) - email@example.com
PHONE 919-989-6039 EXT. 3969 / FAX 919-989-6272 / ROOM #508
I know everyone is experiencing a stress level like none other due not only to the pandemic, but also having a different teacher, staff members, and new classmates, as well as a plethora of difficult to follow social distancing rules. I work closely with my families as you are an integral part and most important stakeholder in your child’s learning experience. Therefore, I will be reaching out to you to hold a virtual meeting where we can ask as many questions as we want! I will do everything in my power to answer any questions I have the answers to and make the transition as smooth as is possible.
As you decide what best fits your family (face-to-face cohort, virtual, virtual academy) please plan accordingly based on how things will look within the Life Skills classroom environment.
- The ability to wear PPE (personal protective equipment) may not be feasible for all students, so your child may be exposed to others not wearing PPE
- Life Skills relies on extensive hand over hand direct support and contact from various staff
- Non-ambulatory students will be transferred from wheelchairs to therapy equipment, floor, and mats and the surfaces like carpeting will be sanitized as is feasible
- Students requiring diapering means repeated close contact with all staff members that have been exposed to the same process with other students
- Manipulatives cannot be shared, so we will request supplies as they arise. Please seal them in containers or ziplocs and use sharpie to clearly label items. Personal items (think feeding supplies, clothing, etc) will have to travel to and from school so that they may be sanitized at your home and returned to school.
1 1” - 1 1/2“ 3 ring binder (hard bound)
1 packet of anti-glare sheet protectors
1 packet of tab dividers for binders
Adapted crayons (egg, fat barreled, or triangular, twistable crayons)
1 complete change of clothes (top, bottom, socks) weather appropriate sealed and labeled in a ziploc bag
1 labeled package of diapers
1 labeled package of chucks (disposable changing pads)
Flip top container or hard surround container with lid to hold: extra adapted feeding utensils, teethers, chewies, pacifiers, etc.
Flip top container or hard surround container with lid to hold extra medical equipment: enteral tubes, diaper creams, diastat / medications, drain sponges, etc.
❤We love and rely on donations such as paper towels, bottled water,
and seasonal crafts ❤
Every JCPS parent must fill out the Second Semester Choice form to choose either the Virtual Program OR face-to-face instruction for each of their students. The Second Semester Choice form is to be filled out for ALL students in grades PreK-12. If a child is going to participate in face-to-face instruction for the second semester, the parent will be asked to fill out transportation information for the student in the form. A form for each student should be completed by Nov. 30.
Information on social distancing in school settings has been recently updated by the NC Department of Health and Human Services (NCDHHS). Upon receiving information from the NCDHHS, we consulted with the Johnston County Public Health Department on the impact these updates will have on our school system. This ongoing collaboration continues to guide our decision-making as students return to classrooms for in-person instruction.