DRIVER EDUCATION IS CONSIDERED AN AFTER-SCHOOL ACTIVITY. IF ALL AFTER SCHOOL ACTIVITIES ARE CANCELLED, THIS INCLUDES DRIVER EDUCATION.
PLEASE NOTE: A student cannot take a Driver Education class until he/she turns 14 years and 6 months old. Only high school students may take Driver Education, unless the student takes the class in the summer before going into ninth grade. Students should take their Driver Education course at their own school or at the school in their attendance area.
All participation in Driver Education is voluntary.
JOIN REMIND! Join REMIND to receive important updates and news about Driver Education classes at CHHS. Text the message @newdriver to the number 81010.
March 2023 Driver Education Class Information
- There are NO slots left in the March DE sessions. The next sign-up will be during the first week of May for summer courses. All information regarding summer classes will be on this page during the first week of May. Please check back then.
- There will be 3 classes of Driver education taught in March of 2023.
- The March classes will be taught in-person at CHHS from 2:15 PM to 5:15 PM.
- Each session will last 12 total days.
- NO ABSENCES allowed for any reason. If the student and parent cannot commit to all 12 days of the class, please do not sign-up and take up a slot.
- Students must provide their own transportation.
- Alive@25 will be taught on the final day of each session. Alive@25 is a 4-hour course.
- The following are the exact dates for the March course: March 1, 2, 6, 7, 8, 9, 13, 14, 15, 16, 20, 21 (total of 12 days).
- REQUIRED Parent/Student Meeting for the March class - Thursday, February 9, 2023 - 6:30 PM on Google Meet (virtual meeting).
Frequently Asked Questions About Driver Education Class
Please email Mrs. Pinkowski at <email@example.com> if you don't see the answer to your question in the Frequently Asked Questions section.
1. When will the next Driver Education class be offered?
The next Driver Education session at CHHS will be taught in March of 2023. Read above for the exact dates. Please note that all classes will be in-person classes!
2.. How do I initially get signed up for a class of Driver Education?
There will be a pre-registration sign-up link on this web page for each session. The link will be closed when the class is full. The best way to not miss sign-up is to subscribe to the REMIND app for Driver Education. The REMIND app is free and can be downloaded on most devices. Once you have the app, then you should text @chhsdriver to the number 81010. You will receive announcements about the exact date and time that the sign-up link will be on this web page.
3. If the student pre-registers for a class, does that mean he/she is in the class automatically? Will the student or parent receive anything from Mrs. Pinkowski after pre-registration?
NO. After the student is pre-registered for the class, the next step will be attendance at the mandatory parent/student meeting. If the student was able to fill out the Google form to pre-register, then the student's spot is held until the night of the parent/student meeting. February 9th, 2023 is the required meeting for students wanting to take the March DE course. Any student who does not attend the required meeting will lose his/her spot in the class for which he/she pre-registered. PLEASE PUT THE DATE OF THE PARENT/STUDENT MEETING ON YOUR CALENDAR! Mrs. Pinkowski will send out a REMIND message to remind everyone of the required parent/student meeting.
4. When will I pay?
Payment of $90 is due by the third day of the DE class that your child enrolls in. Do not pay before attending the required parents' meeting. Information will be shared about payments during the required Parent Meeting.
5. Is the Parent Meeting mandatory?
Yes! Unless the student and a parent/guardian attend the virtual parent meeting on the scheduled day at 6:30 P.M., the student will not be allowed to take the class. There is a good deal of information that both student and parent must know before beginning the Driver Education class, especially now that we are using a new Canvas platform. The link to join the virtual parent meetings will be on this web page on the day of the meeting, mid-afternoon.
6. How many days and hours is the Driver Education course?
Johnston County Public Schools requires 33 hours of Driver Education, 6 hours of behind-the-wheel training, and a 4-hour "Alive@25" course in order for a student to obtain a Certificate of Completion. The actual driving takes place after the student completes the online coursework. All the details will be discussed at the assigned parent meeting.
The cost of a Driver Education class (including Alive@25) is $90 (cash, check, or money order payable to "CHHS.") Other logistics and pertinent information for each class will be covered with parents and students at the parent/student meeting.
Upcoming "ALIVE@25" Dates ($25 for the course)
- March 21, 2023
Email Mrs. Pinkowski to sign up for an Alive@25 class if all you need is this course (i.e., you took your DE class privately or in another state). Students who enroll in DE at CHHS will automatically be placed in the Alive@25 course.
Students, you may stop by Mrs. Pink's room at CHHS (room 303) if you have questions, or email Mrs. Pink: firstname.lastname@example.org