DRIVER EDUCATION IS CONSIDERED AN AFTER SCHOOL ACTIVITY. IF ALL AFTER SCHOOL ACTIVITIES ARE CANCELLED, THIS INCLUDES DRIVER EDUCATION.
PLEASE NOTE: A student cannot take a Driver Education class until he/she turns 14 years and 6 months old. Only high school students may take Driver Education, unless the student takes the class the summer before going into the ninth grade.
JOIN REMIND! Join REMIND to receive important updates and news about Driver Education classes at CHHS. Text the message @chhsdriver to the number 81010.
Update as of 9/9/2020: On September 8th, the JCPS Board of Education granted approval for the JCPS Driver Education program to resume behind-the-wheel instruction. Read through the information below before sending an email to Mrs. Pinkowski; your answer may be below :)
- First, DE Instructors will contact students who need to resume driving instruction from the spring (there were 6 CHHS students in the middle of their driving training).
- Instructors will schedule drive times as soon as possible. We will be driving 5-6 days a week to get caught up; PATIENCE is going to be important. Our driving instructors are doing the best they can right now.
- Details about virtual classroom opportunities will be shared when available. As soon as Mrs. Pinkowski receives the go-ahead to offer virtual classes, a ConnectEd call will go home, this page will have a sign-up link, and REMIND messages will be sent out. Our instructors are currently being trained on the virtual classroom platform.
- Our first priority is to complete behind-the-wheel instruction for students who were enrolled in Driver Education at the time of school closures in March, 2020.
- Students will be called based on the class they took (February or March). The oldest students from the February class will complete their behind-the-wheel training first. Then students who were enrolled in the March class will be called (oldest to youngest) to do their driving.
- If an instructor calls and does not receive an answer or a call-back within a reasonable amount of time, we will move on to the next student "in line." Parents and students, check your messages and voicemail. That strange number you see on your phone may be a DE instructor trying to schedule you to drive!
- Questions about Alive@25? I do not have any answers right now. Once I know something, I will post the information on this site. The county's main focus is BTW training and classroom instruction right now.
- If you have read this far and still have a question, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Keep in mind, all participation in Driver Education is voluntary.
PLEASE READ THE SPECIFIC DETAILS RELATED TO THE PARENT MEETINGS:
- IMPORTANT!! A student is not eligible to take a DE class unless he/she has attended a parent/student meeting.
- Parent/Student Night begins promptly at 6:30 P.M.
- The meeting lasts an hour.
- Meetings are held in the CHHS auditorium.
- Please bring a black or blue ink pen with you to the meeting.
- Both the parent and student must attend.
- No money is required at the parent meeting.
- Parents and students only have to attend one parent meeting.
The cost of a Driver Education class (including Alive@25) is $90 (cash, check, or money order payable to "CHHS.") Other logistics and pertinent information for each class will be covered with parents and students at the parent/student meeting.
Students & Parents: Pre-register for the class your child would like to take, as seat space is limited. Please use the link below to sign-up.
LINK NOT AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME; LINK WILL BE ACTIVE ONCE VIRTUAL CLASSES ARE SCHEDULED.
"ALIVE@25" Dates ($25 for course)
Email Mrs. Pinkowski to sign up for an Alive@25 class if all you need is this course (i.e., you took your DE class privately or in another state). Students who enroll in DE at CHHS will automatically be placed in the Alive@25 course.
Students, you may stop by Mrs. Pink's room at CHHS (room 311) if you have questions, or email Mrs. Pink: email@example.com