Clayton High School is committed to preparing students for all aspects of driving, including making good decisions, dealing with peer pressure, and understanding the laws that govern driving.
Drivers Education consists of 33 hours of classroom work, a minimum of 6 behind the wheel hours of instruction, and a four hour defensive driving class (Alive at 25). "Alive at 25" is a statewide course developed for teenage drivers in North Carolina.
Student Eligibility Requirements for Drivers Education
- Must be 14 1/2 years or older.
- Must be high school students Only. (8th graders during the summer before 9th grade are eligible.)
- Must attend Mandatory Parent/Student Meeting with (At least one parent or legal guardian).
- Must sign all paperwork.
Class Schedule and Requirements:2018-2019
- Parent and student must attend the MANDATORY meeting together for the student to be eligible to enroll in the Drivers Education class.
- Parents DO NOT bring the required fee on the night of Parent Meeting. A $90.00 fee is required for Drivers Education; $65.00 will go toward the Drivers Ed class, and $25.00 will go toward the Alive@25 class. Checks may be made out to Clayton High School.
- All students are required to take Alive@25 in order to pass and to do the Behind-the-Wheel training. Alive @25 will usually take place on the day immediately following the final day of class.
Parent Meeting attendance is Mandatory for a parent and the driver in order to be enrolled in the class.
The Meetings will start promptly at 6:30-8:00 pm in the CHS cafeteria. Doors will close at 6:30pm, and late arrivals will need to attend the next meeting and enroll in the next class.
Mandatory Parent Meeting Dates
Tuesday,April-24/ 6:30-8:00 pm
April-30-May-4/ 7-11/14/M-F 2:00-5:00 pm
May-15/ 2:00-6:00 pm
Tuesday,May-15/ 6:30-8:00 pm
June- 18-21/ 25-27 / M-TH 7:30-12:00 pm
June-28/ 7:30-11:30 am
Tuesday, May-15/ 6:30-8:00 pm
July- 9-12/ 16-18 /M-TH 7:30-12:00 pm
July-19/ 7:30-11:30 am
Tuesday, September-4/ 6:30-8:00 pm
September-10-14/17-20/24-25/ M-F 2:00-5:00 pm
September-26/ 2:00-6:00 pm
Tuesday,October-2/ 6:30-8:00 pm
October- 8-12/15-18/22-23 /M-F/ 2:00-5:00 pm
Tuesday,November-27/ 6:30-8:00 pm
December-3-7/10-14 /17/M-F 2:00-5:00
December-18/ 2:00-6:00 pm
Tuesday,January-29/ 6:30 -8:00 pm
February-4-8/ February-11-15/19/M-F 2:00-5:00
February-20/ 2:00-6:00 pm
Tuesday,March-5/ 6:30 pm
March-12-15/ 20-22/25-28/M-F 2:00-5:00 pm
March-29/ 2:00-6:00 pm
Tuesday,April-16/ 6:30-8:00 pm
April-29-30/May-1-3 /6-10/13 M-F 2:00-5:00 pm
May-14/ 2:00-6:00 pm