Karra Kay Hester, Driver's Ed Instructor
Just click to go to link: Johnston County Driver Education Website
Parents & Students:
Update as of 9/9/2020: On September 8th, the JCPS Board of Education granted approval for the JCPS Driver Education program to resume behind-the-wheel instruction. Read through the information below before sending an email to Mrs. Hester; your answer may be below :)
- First, DE Instructors will contact students who need to resume driving instruction from the spring.
- Instructors will schedule drive times as soon as possible. We will be driving 5-6 days a week to get caught up; PATIENCE is going to be important. Our driving instructors are doing the best they can right now.
- Details about virtual classroom opportunities will be shared when available. As soon as Mrs. Hester receives the go-ahead to offer virtual classes, a ConnectEd call will go home, this page will have a sign-up link, and REMIND messages will be sent out. Our instructors are currently being trained on the virtual classroom platform.
- Our first priority is to complete behind-the-wheel instruction for students who were enrolled in Driver Education at the time of school closures in March, 2020.
- The oldest students will complete their behind-the-wheel training first. We drive students oldest to youngest by birthdate.
- If an instructor calls and does not receive an answer or a call-back within a reasonable amount of time, we will move on to the next student "in line." Parents and students, check your messages and voicemail. That strange number you see on your phone may be a DE instructor trying to schedule you to drive!
- Questions about Alive@25? I do not have any answers right now. Once I know something, I will post the information on this site. The county's main focus is BTW training and classroom instruction right now.
- If you have read this far and still have a question, send an email to: email@example.com
Keep in mind, all participation in Driver Education is voluntary.
Updates will be made on this website as they are available.
DRIVER'S EDUCATION IS CONSIDERED AN AFTER SCHOOL ACTIVITY. IF ALL AFTER SCHOOL ACTIVITIES ARE CANCELLED, THIS INCLUDES DRIVER EDUCATION.
PLEASE NOTE: A student cannot take a Driver Education class until he/she turns 14 years and 6 months old.
Join REMIND to receive important updates and news about Driver Education classes at PHS. Text the message @driverPHS to the number 81010.
PLEASE READ THE SPECIFIC DETAILS RELATED TO THE PARENT MEETINGS:
- IMPORTANT!! A student is not eligible to take a DE class unless he/she has attended a parent/student meeting. A parent and the student are required to attend.
- Parent/Student Night begins promptly at 6:30 P.M.
- The meeting lasts an hour.
- Meetings are held in the PHS cafeteria.
- Please bring a black or blue ink pen with you to the meeting.
- Both the parent and student must attend.
- No money is required at the parent meeting.
- Parents and students only have to attend one parent meeting.
The cost of a Driver's Education class (including Alive@25) is $90 (cash, check, or money order payable to "PHS.") Other logistics and pertinent information for each class will be covered with parents and students at the parent/student meeting.
"ALIVE@25" Dates ($25 for course)
Email Mrs. Hester to sign up for an Alive@25 class if all you need is this course (i.e., you took your DE class privately or in another state). Students who enroll in DE at PHS will automatically be placed in the Alive@25 course.
The student MUST take Alive@25 and complete the course before they are allowed to complete the driving portion of driver's education.