WMES Advisory Council MembersShannon Macedo
Alicia HellisAdam HellisDawn Edmondson
Andrea Jones- Principal2021-2022 Advisory Council Meetings
October 28, 2021 @ 4pm
January 6, 2021 @ 4pm
March 24, 2022 @ 4pm
May 31, 2022 @ 4pm
What is an advisory council?
An advisory council is a group of parents/guardians, grandparents, or other community members who have a vested interest in public schools with a desire to help make positive changes that promote the community school. The council serves in an advisory capacity to the principal on issues that might affect the entire school community.
Why do we have an advisory council?
The primary purpose of the advisory council is to serve in an advisory capacity to the principal and school board on matters that affect that school site. Local school advisory councils shall provide a means for citizens to have an integral part in the decision-making process at the school that he/she serves.
Who can serve as an advisory council member?
An advisory council member must be an adult who is a proponent of public education and must have demonstrated continual involvement and service to his/her school.
- All but two members must be parents, guardians, or grandparents of a child in the school.
- Two council members may be at-large members.
- A council member must resign or move to “at large” status when his/her child/grandchild no longer attends the school which he/she serves.
- Councils shall be composed of not fewer than 5 nor more than 9 members.
- Racial and gender representation should be the mirror image of the student population.
How long does an advisory council member serve?
Terms of service:
- Advisory council members will serve 3-year terms of service.
- Members selected to fill unexpired terms will serve the remainder of that term.
- A member may serve an unlimited number of terms not to exceed the qualifications for candidates.
Local advisory councils will follow guidelines established in Johnston County Board Policy. If you are interested in becoming a member of the advisory council, please contact Principal Andrea Jones at (919) 934-2978 or email@example.com.