Degrees and Certifications:
B.A. in Child Study from St. Joseph's College
Hello! I love being a teacher and enjoy interacting with every student. I live in Johnston county and have worked for Johnston county since 2014. I am originally from New York, but consider North Carolina my home and consider myself lucky to work for such a great state.
Mission: South Smithfield Elementary School empowers students to reach their highest potential in the classroom and in the world by:
- building relationships with others
- acquiring knowledge through inquiry
- making a positive contribution to society
- being internationally-minded and
- embracing diversity
Vision: South Smithfield Elementary School students will be prepared and inspired to make the world a better place.
- We BELIEVE students are THE top priority – safety, success, and overall well-being
- We BELIEVE all stakeholders are valued and respected
- We BELIEVE commitment to professional growth and development is required
- We BELIEVE continuous analysis is necessary to ensure SSE processes are benefiting student achievement and growth
- We BELIEVE parental involvement and engagement should be encouraged regardless of language or socio-economic status
- We BELIEVE transparency is essential at all levels
- We BELIEVE establishing relationships, providing relevant learning opportunities and using innovative teaching techniques
- We BELIEVE in personalized learning
- We BELIEVE that we are DIFFERENCE MAKERS!
- We BELIEVE we are DYNAMIC!
Mr. McKay's Schedule Time Grade Subject 8:15-8:45 Breakfast Duty in Cafeteria 9:00-9:30 5 Math 9:00-9:45 2 Math 10:00-10:30 4 Reading 10:30-11:00 4 Reading Writing 11:00-11:15 4 Social/Emotional Organizational Writing 11:00-11:45 K Reading 11:45-12:05 Lunch 12:05-12:35 3 Reading 12:35-1:05 3 Reading 12:40-1:10 5 Writing 12:45-1:15 K Math 1:10-1:40 5 Reading 1:05-1:35 2 Reading 1:20-1:35 2 Writing 1:35-2:05 2 Reading 1:50-2:20 4 Math Writing 2:20-2:50 4 Math 2:45-3:00 2 Social/Emotional 2:45-3:15 3 Math 3:00-3:15 K Social/Emotional 3:15-3:55 Planning 3:55-4:15 Bus Duty
At this time, all traditional high school graduations are still planned for May 29. Graduation ceremonies for Johnston County Early College Academy and Johnston County Career and Technical Leadership Academy will now take place on May 16th, rather than the original date of May 15th.
The April Johnston County Board of Education meeting will be held on Tuesday, April 7. The virtual meeting will begin at 4:00 p.m and will be conducted via Zoom To Comply With Social Distancing Orders. Members of the public make access the meeting via livestream.
The extended learning opportunities that are posted require the use of a device such as a computer. If you do not have a device at home, yet have access to wifi (a wireless internet connection), the school will loan you a device during this time of extended learning .
As you are aware, per Governor Cooper's Executive Order, schools will remain closed until May 15. At this time, there is an online repository of student learning opportunities on the website to keep students engaged.
Out of an abundance of caution and to assure the safety of our students, teachers, families and community, Johnston County Ed Foundation has made the very difficult decision to cancel the Showcase of Stars event scheduled for Saturday, March 14. Please click here for more information.