We've had an awesome week! Students have jumped right into our curriculum and are old pros at Read to Self and making transitions. I'm blown away by the excitement of the kids as we read aloud together and as they choose books. It is clear someone along the way has instilled a love of reading into your children. I am eager to experience more books together! I would also like to commend this class for their kindness. I've noticed several times on the playground how they embrace our special friends who come to us from other classrooms. Students welcome and assist them, and cheer them on when they try something new. It's not just one or two students doing this, but several. This is surely the sweetest group of children that I've worked with! BRAVO parents!
Several quick things to note:
- Please join PTA. Onlyl $6 per person and the more the merrier! LMK if you need a form or go to: PTA Sign Up
- Consider keeping a few dollars on your child's lunch account, even if they normally bring lunch. It will save you trouble if they ever forget their lunch. Send cash, a check, or go to: Online cafeteria payment
- If you are planning to take a family trip and would like it excused, please fill out the correct form and submit it to me IN ADVANCE. I'll sign, then pass to Mr. Kerwin for approval. LMK if you need a form. Hopefully this will be added to our webpage soon. We do ask that you consider this carefully as we cover a great deal of information each week, which is often difficult to replicate with just one student. Also please don't expect teachers to put together a packet of work to be completed on your trip. We plan lessons carefully, and most involve direct instruction by us, along with peer collaboration and group discussions. We also alter plans daily based on how students are doing. In most cases, it is much better to have your child make up work after they come back so we can check progress before they get too far. Trying to reteach a student who has done several assignments incorrectly is challenging. (You've heard "Practice Makes Perfect?" More accurate would be "Practice Makes Permanent," so want to ensure it's being done correctly from the start.) Thanks for your understanding.
- MAP testing for Reading was last week, and Math will occur this Wednesday. Please try to ensure your child is on time to school and has working earbuds/headphones.
- Going home on Tuesday in this week's Communication Folder will be order forms for Scholastic Bookstore. Our class code is MFRND. Please order! They have amazing deals on books! FYI I also love to shop at Pauper's Used Books on Highway 70 in Clayton and online at www.thriftbooks.com. All great resources for cheap books. LMK if you ever want any recommendations!
- Students earned their first CLASS REWARD for getting their "P" in PRIDE. They decided to bring stuffed animals to school, which we will do on TUESDAY 9/17. Congratulations!
- We will be using GOOGLE CLASSROOM this year to share assignment and announcements with students. Feel free to check your child's account. As a parent, I personally would also be monitoring their school email but that's your call. Email address and Google password for their Drive, Classroom and Gmail can be found in their binders on the ultra professional and official form entitled "Important Stuff I Need to Remember!"
- Finally, I've entered all parents into my contacts and you should have received an email saying this webpage has been updated. If you didn't receive this email, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org and lmk your email address and student name. Also, a reminder that Mrs. Besel's email address is catherinebesel@ rather than cathybesel...
Be sure to check out the "Curriculum Updates" section of this webpage for what we'll be covering next week. Also please look at the lower right corner for the school's Calendar of Events. I hope to see everyone on September 18th at Culvers for our first Spirit Night! Have an awesome week!
Many thanks to students for a wonderful first week! We spent time getting to know each other, building classroom community by discussing school and classroom expectations, learning about our class library and practicing "Read to Self" several times, and getting our materials and supplies organized. Students have been enthusiastic and kind. I know we are going to have an amazing year of learning together!
I regret being out on Thursday and Friday. Unfortunately my mom passed away early Friday morning, so these absences were unavoidable. Thank you for your understanding over the next few weeks as I attempt to juggle getting to know your children while beginning a new reading program, while also assisting my family with services and the transition.
We want to ensure we have the correct email address for everyone. If you didn't get a chance to fill out our Family Survey online, please at least send me a quick email at email@example.com giving me your child's name so I will have the correct email address. In addition, if you haven't yet signed up for Remind, please do so! Thank you!
Going home Tuesday is a detailed explanation of Reading Homework/Expectations for the year. PLEASE take the time to read over it. Reading homework will begin this week, so minutes should be recorded by students and signed off on by parents DAILY during the school week. Thanks in advance for establishing this habit from Day 1.
Be sure to check out "What We're Doing--Curriculum Updates" for information on what we will be learning this week. In addition, the lower right side of my main webpage includes a school calendar of important upcoming dates so be sure to check it regularly. Have a wonderful week!
8.23.19 Thanks to all who were able to attend Meet the Teacher last night! It was wonderful to meet so many families. As promised, I have attached last night's presentation further down this page. Please LMK if you have questions. Also, if you didn't get a chance to fill out the "Family Contact Information" form electronically, please do so ASAP. This will give us correct email addresses and tell us how your child is going home from school the first day. Go to:
We look forward to an amazing school year!
Welcome Back! We are looking forward to a great year! Cathy Besel and I team teach so if you're a student in either of our classes, your child will have both of us. Mrs. Besel teaches Math & Science and I teach Reading, Writing & Social Studies. Please join us for Meet the Teacher on Thursday, Augusat 22nd. We have two sessions for families to visit classrooms for presentations. Session 1 is from 4:45-5:45. Session 2 is from 5:55-6:55. We will introduce ourselves, review expectations, and provide packets of information for families. Please be prepared to share transportation arrangements for the first day of school, emergency contact numbers for your child, name of individuals that may pick up your child at school, and notification of any medical needs. Bus information will be provided along with registration for Before and After School Care. Our PTA will also have a table to assist with volunteering and spirit wear. We look forward to meeting you then!
Here is our supply list:
One and a half inch binder
5-composition notebooks (100 pages each -NO SPIRALS)
1 small pack of colored pencils
4-pocket folders with 3 holes, NO PRONGS
40 regular pencils NOT MECHANICAL
2-pencil pouches with 3 holes to put in binder-
NO pencil boxes
5 brightly colored pens
1 pack wide-ruled loose leaf paper
1 package sheet protectors
2 packs of post-it notes
2 packs Index cards 3X5
1 package pencil top erasers, 2 bar erasers
4 thin, dry erase markers
Student sized scissors
1 pair earbuds or earphones-to be kept at school
Girls - Large box of bandaids
Boys - 2 boxes of tissues
Some supplies may be collected for community use
Items for personal use (markers, etc) should be kept at home due to lack of space
8:20-8:45 Arrival & Prepare for day
8:50-10:30 Block #1
11:50-12:20 Targeted Learning Time
12:25-2:15 Block # 2 & Working Snack
2:15-2:35 Read to Self & Pack up
We are pleased to inform you that the preschool classroom at Powhatan Elementary School has limited space available for enrollment in the Fee For Service Program for the 19-20 school year. The Fee For Service Preschool Program is designed to provide a high-quality early childhood experience...
Johnston County Public Schools will begin using Here Comes the Bus in the 2019-2020 school year! Here Comes the Bus is a school bus tracking app that gives parents real-time bus location information and alerts to get students to the bus stop on time. The app is expected to roll out by the first day of school, August 26...
The Johnston County Education Foundation has changed its grant process from a three cycle a year process, to a once a year process. The grant deadline will now be November 15th each year and Grant Patrol will be held on the first Wednesday of December.