Degrees and Certifications:
B.S. in Elementary Education Reading Concentration (K-12) Physical & Health Education (K-12)
Mrs. Samantha Barnes
Hi! I am a Kindergarten teacher at Glendale-Kenly Elementary! I have previously taught Kindergarten, 1st grade, 2nd grade, and Physical Education. I was also a Teacher Assistant before I began teaching. I have worked in Johnston County Schools since 2004. I attended Glendale-Kenly Elementary, North Johnston Middle, and North Johnston High School as a student. I graduated from East Carolina University (Go Pirates!) with a degree in Elementary Education with a K-12 Reading Concentration. After teaching in K-2 for 9 years, I decided to make the move to P.E. I taught P.E. for three years, but decided to return to the regular classroom.
My husband, Alan, teaches Physical Education and coaches Boys' Basketball and Boys' Track at Archer Lodge Middle School. We have a 7 year-old son, Jake, who keeps us busy, too. Jake is in 1st Grade at Glendale-Kenly this year! We are also excited about our new baby girl, Ellie, joining our family very soon (due September 1). Due to her birth, I will be out for a short period in the fall. However, please know that I will be stopping in frequently to get to know your child and begin to build a relationship with each student. Mrs. Shannon will take care of everything while I am away.
A little bit about my family: We attend Micro First Baptist Church. We enjoy going to the beach, spending time together, watching and playing sports, and I love shopping.
I look forward to meeting each of you, and working with you this year. Please let me know if I can ever do anything for your child or your family!
Mrs. Barnes' 2019-2020 Daily Schedule
I will post a daily schedule once we have one set in place.
Kindergarten Supply List
- 1 Pair of Fiskars scissors
- 10 Glue sticks
- 2 Boxes of regular sized Crayolacrayons
- Crayola crayons are more durable & last longer. Students can also have Crayola Twistable crayons.
- 1 Box of regular sized pencils
- 1 Pink or White block eraser
- 1 Marble composition notebook (No Spiral Notebooks)
- 1 Large towelfor nap time (No roll up sleeping bags with pillows)
- Please write your child’s name on the towel tag with a permanent marker.
- 1 set of headphones (No earbuds)
- 1 Book bag: regular size that a binder would easily fit into. (No rolling book bags)
- 1 Change of clothes (including shirt, pants, socks and underwear) in a large zip lock bag
- Please label this bag of clothes with your child’s name.
- 2 Dry Erase markers - Black only (for student use)
Mrs. Barnes and Mrs. Shannon's Class Supply List
****These items are specific to our classroom. Please purchase these items as well.
- 1 durable pencil bag or pouch (No pencil boxes please)
- 2 (plastic) poly 2-pocket folders with prongs inside (any color is okay)
- 1 solid white t-shirt that we will tie-dye for our field trips / special events.
- Your child will get to keep this shirt at the end of the year.
- 1 box of tissues
**** Students need pencils, scissors, glue, and crayons at home as well to use for homework throughout the year.
**** As the year progresses, please be prepared to replenish any of the above items. School supplies are cheaper at the beginning of the school year. If you would like to purchase extras, we will keep them in the classroom so that they are available when needed. Each child will have a bag with their name on it where we keep their extra supplies. Usually students need more gluesticks, crayons, and pencils.
Mrs. Barnes and Mrs. Shannon's Wish List Items:
Zip-loc Bags (all sizes)
Colored copy paper
Colored or White cardstock
Extra glue sticks
Thank you, in advance, for anything you help to purchase for our classroom!
The Johnston County Board of Education has hired the North Carolina School Boards Association (NCSBA) to help facilitate its search for the next superintendent of Johnston County Public Schools (JCPS)....
The application window all JCPS Innovative School Programs will open Dec. 1. The district offers programs for high school and middle school students...