Parents please make sure you have filled out this online contact form. You only need to do it once. Thank you!
Welcome to Mr. Orilio's 8th Grade Science classroom!
Supply List for Mr. Orilio's 8th Grade Science.
These supplies should be brought to school and class everyday.
- An organization method. According to our School AVID Program, this should be a large binder with dividers for each class.
- Pencils - wood or mechanical (pencils are preferred over pens for daily work)
- Erasers (we all make mistakes)
- Colored Pencils (we all like to color)
- Pencil Sharpener (pencils and colored pencils break)
- Pens (usually blue or black ink)
- Notebook Paper
- Earbuds that plug into a traditional headphone jack
- Basic or TI-84 Graphing Calculator (please no phones, they’re sometimes a little distracting)
- Contact Mr. Orilio and Remind Info
Email - email@example.com
Phone - (919) 553-7500 x2261. My planning period is from 2:00-3:00.
Text - sign up for Remind and send a text.
How to sign up for Remind
To sign up to receive text messages: Standard text messaging rates apply.
- Send a text to 81010 with the message @oriliosci
Or to sign up to receive emails:
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- CvMS Grade 8 Schedule of Classes
7:35 – 8:05 Homeroom
8:05 – 8:38 AP
8:40 – 9:42 1st Block
9:44 – 10:48 2nd Block
10:50 – 11:52 3rd Block
11:54 – 1:37 4th Block
12:10 – 12:35 Lunch
1:40 – 3:05 5th Block
3:05 – 3:10 Return to HR to plug in Chromebooks
- Curriculum – 8th Grade Science Essential Standards
- Matter: Properties and Change.
- 8.P.1 – Understand the properties of matter and changes that occur when matter interacts in an open and closed container.
- Energy: Conservation and Transfer.
- 8.P.2 – Explain the environmental implications associated with the various methods of obtaining, managing, and using energy resources.
- Earth Systems, Structures and Processes.
- 8.E.1 – Understand the hydrosphere and the impact of humans on local systems and the effects of the hydrosphere on humans.
- Earth History.
- 8.E.2 – Understand the history of Earth and its life forms based on evidence of change recorded in fossil records and landforms.
- Structures and Functions of Living Organisms.
- 8.L.1 – Understand the hazards caused by agents of diseases that affect living organisms.
- 8.L.2 – Understand how biotechnology is used to affect living organisms.
- 8.L.3 – Understand how organisms interact with and respond to biotic and abiotic components of their environment.
- Evolution and Genetics
- 8.L.4 – Understand the evolution of organisms and landforms based on evidence, theories and processes that impact the Earth over time.
- Molecular Biology
- 8.L.5 – Understand the composition of various substances as it relates to their ability to serve as a source of energy and building materials for growth and repair of organisms.
- CvMS Grading Policy
The following areas will be evaluated:
- Practice Assignments: provide students with feedback and guide instruction (include Classwork, Warm-ups, Homework, Cooperative Learning Activities and some Quizzes)
- Mastery Assignments: measure student mastery of a given goal/concept or skill (include Quizzes, Tests, Projects, Presentations and Skills Checks)
Practice Assignments will not be used to calculate a student's numerical grade.
Only Mastery Assignments will be used in the calculation of a student's final, numerical grade. Students who do not complete Mastery Assignments will receive a grade of NOTPROG (not progressing). Once completed, these scores will become a factor in determining a student's final grade. Athletes will not qualify to participate in sports until all Mastery Assignments are completed.
Students may reassess on any Mastery Assignment but the maximum grade a student may earn on any reassessment is a 90. A qualifying assignment must be completed before a student is eligible to reassess. This process must be completed by the end of each quarter.
- Class Assignments and Homework
Class assignments and homework will be posted on my Google Classroom site. Copies of all assignments passed out in class will be available to view, download and print if necessary.
Students will use a textbook from time to time in class but it is not a major component of 8th grade science.
Tutoring for science will be offered after school on Mondays or before school on most days. If a student stays after school they must be picked up promptly at 4:00 pm. Students must complete the Google Form called Tutoring Sign Up located on Google Classroom.
The Johnston County Public Schools Office of Equity, Information and Student Services is sponsoring a special discussion panel forum at Corinth Holders High School called We Are One: A Unity Forum...
The Johnston County Board of Education has hired the North Carolina School Boards Association (NCSBA) to help facilitate its search for the next superintendent of Johnston County Public Schools (JCPS)....
The application window all JCPS Innovative School Programs will open Dec. 1. The district offers programs for high school and middle school students...