Welcome to Mr. Orilio's 8th Grade Science classroom!
- CvMS Grade 8 Schedule of Classes
7:35 – 8:05 Homeroom
8:05 – 8:15 Advisory
8:15 – 9:15 1st Block
9:17 - 9:47 AP
9:50 – 10:50 2nd Block
10:53 – 12:24 3rd Block
12:27 – 1:27 4th Block
1:30 – 3:00 5th Block
- Curriculum – 8th Grade Science Essential Standards
- Matter: Properties and Changes
- 8.P.1 – Understand the properties of matter and changes that occur when matter interacts in an open and closed container.
- Energy: Conservation and Transfer
- 8.P.2 – Explain the environmental implications associated with the various methods of obtaining, managing, and using energy resources.
- Earth Systems, Structures and Processes
- 8.E.1 – Understand the hydrosphere and the impact of humans on local systems and the effects of the hydrosphere on humans.
- Earth History
- 8.E.2 – Understand the history of Earth and its life forms based on evidence of change recorded in fossil records and landforms.
- Structures and Functions of Living Organisms
- 8.L.1 – Understand the hazards caused by agents of diseases that affect living organisms.
- 8.L.2 – Understand how biotechnology is used to affect living organisms.
- 8.L.3 – Understand how organisms interact with and respond to the biotic and abiotic components of their environment.
- Evolution and Genetics
- 8.L.4 – Understand the evolution of organisms and landforms based on evidence, theories and processes that impact the Earth over time.
- Molcular Biology
- 8.L.5 – Understand the composition of various substances as it relates to their ability to serve as a source of energy and building materials for growth and repair of organisms.
- Matter: Properties and Changes
- CvMS Grading Policy
The following areas will be evaluated:
- Practice Assignments: provide students with feedback and guide instruction (include Classwork, Warm-ups, Homework, Cooperative Learning Activities and some Quizzes)
- Mastery Assignments: measure student mastery of a given goal/concept or skill (include Quizzes, Tests, Projects, Presentations and Skills Checks)
Practice Assignments will not be used to calculate a student's numerical grade.
Only Mastery Assignments will be used in the calculation of a student's final, numerical grade. Students who do not complete Mastery Assignments will receive a grade of incomplete. Once completed, these scores will become a factor in determining a student's final grade. Athletes will not qualify to participate in sports until all Mastery Assignments are completed.
- Class Assignments and Homework
Class assignments and homework will be posted on my Google Classroom site. Copies of all assignments passed out in class will be available to view, download and print if necessary.
Students can access the 8th grade science textbook online by using instructions located on Google Classroom.
Tutoring for science will be offered before or after school by appointment only. If a student stays after school they must be picked up promptly at 4:00 pm.
- Contact Mr. Orilio
Email - email@example.com
Phone - (919) 553-7500 x2261
Text - sign up for Remind and send a text.
How to sign up for Remind
To sign up to receive text messages: Standard text messaging rates apply.
- Send a text to 81010 with the message @oriliosci
At a Special Session meeting on Oct. 27, the Johnston County Board of Education approved the following calendar changes: adding two wellness days and an optional teacher work day to the district’s November calendar.
At their August meeting, the Johnston County Board of Education voted 4-3 to make face coverings required indoors in all Johnston County Public Schools campuses and on all buses for students, staff, and guests. This updated mask requirement is effective immediately.