Degrees and Certifications:
Science Teacher Grade 8
I graduated from Kent State University with a Bachelor's Degree in Biology and Secondary Education. I began my teaching career in the Chatham County (NC) School System in 1994. In 1998, I relocated to Johnston County. I began teaching at Cleveland Middle School in 2001.
CvMS Grade 8 Schedule of Classes
- 7:35- 8:00 Homeroom
- 8:00- 8:10 Advisory
- 8:10- 9:10 1st Block
- 9:13- 10:13 2nd Block
- 10:16- 11:16 3rd Block
- 11:19- 12:57 4th Block and lunch
- 1:00 -2:27 5th Block
- 2:30 -3:00 Ram Time
- 3:00- 3:05 Homeroom
The topics we will be studying in science this year are those outlined in the Essential Standards for North Carolina and include:
- The Hydrosphere (Earth's Freshwater and Ocean Resources)
- Chemistry (Properties and Changes in Matter)
- Energy Resources and Conservation
- Molecular Biology
- Earth History (Geological Evolution)
- Biological Evolution and Genetics
CvMS Grading Policy
The following areas will be evaluated and used to determine a student's numerical grade:
- Practice Assignments (10%): provide students with feedback and guide instruction. These include Warm-Ups which are given daily at the beginning of each class period. These questions not only serve as a review of content but are also representative of those used for assessment.
- Classwork/Labs (30%): reinforce instruction and strengthen a student's understanding of the content.
- Assessments (60%): measure student mastery of a given goal/concept or skill. These include Quizzes, Tests and Projects.
Note: ONLY Quizzes and Tests on which a student earns a score of less than 80% may be retaken. A Qualifying Assignment must be completed before a student retake a quiz or test. The maximum score that a student may earn on any retest is 80%.
Class Assignments and Homework
Topics of study and all assignments are posted weekly on Google Classroom. This includes classroom activities/labs, quiz and test dates and related homework for the week. Use the Science 8 Planbook on Google Classroom to access this information. Assignments/activities are also written on the board daily. Students are encouraged to record this information in their agendas. Please note that changes to assignments/dates may occur. Your child will always be informed of these changes.
Join my Google Classroom: Science 8 (Littrell) 2021-22 and enter the code: 2yv7gon. Daily warm-ups, notes, classroom activities and labs can be accessed there.
There is an Online Textbook available for use.
How to use it:
1. Click the link below, click Sign In (in the top right corner)
2. Sign In with Google and use your school account
3. After you are logged in, click Classes (on the top toolbar)
4. Enter the following class code: 4izm6
5. After becoming a class member, click Shared Resources (on left side)
6. The textbook is called NC 8th Grade Science Textbook. Click the link and you will see 11 Units. Click on any Unit to find sub-topics.
Contact Mr. Littrell with any questions.
Tutoring for science will be offered on Mondays after school (3:10-4:00). Any student who stays after school must be picked up promptly at 4:00 pm.
It is recommended that students utilize my Unit Review Videos. Refer to CvMS Science Littrell 2020-21, (access code: 6cmb5rm). These are comprehensive videos for each unit of study and may be helpful in preparing for Unit Assessments and the NC Science EOG Test.
Vocabulary for the curriculum may be accessed and reviewed via Quizlet.com (search for littrellj). Quizlet can also be accessed via direct links on CvMS Science Littrell 2020-21. Students can download the Quizlet App on their devices.
JCPS Parent Portal
Parent Portal is an easy way to access your child’s grades and attendance at your convenience. You can access this information from your phone, tablet or computer. If you have more than one child in Johnston County Public Schools, you can link them to one account. Once you register, you will have access through your child’s high school graduation.
Go to the JCPS website- www.johnston.k12.nc.us
Select Cleveland Middle from the tab at bottom left
Select Parents tab
Select Power School Parent Portal Registration
Complete Application questions
After mid September, go to the school with your photo ID to pick up your letter with further instructions.
Using your information in this letter, you may now set up your powerschool account.
There is a Powerschool app that is also available. See the JCPS website for more information. Our district code is PTXX.
At the November Regular Session Board of Education meeting, the Board voted unanimously to improve safety and security in Johnston County Public Schools by implementing state-of-the-art security systems in each of the district’s schools.
We hope that you and your student have already noticed some of the exciting new food and meal opportunities we are offering in our cafeterias this school year. Our new options will include more fresh produce, vegetarian options, and opportunities for students to customize their meal choice. These new offerings will be available at both breakfast and lunch.