Students with disabilities will leave the Johnston County Public School System prepared to live as independently as possible, pursue meaningful careers, make appropriate choices, and enjoy integration within the mainstream of our American society.
The philosophy of the Johnston County Exceptional Children Program is based on the following principles:
- All students can learn and have the right to an educational program that is designed to meet his/her individual needs.
- All students are to be provided appropriate opportunities for growth in the cognitive, affective and social domains.
- Each student is an individual of equal value and should be treated with dignity and respect, regardless of disabling condition.
- All students have a right to an educational experience that will allow him/her to become independent and contributing members of society.
In order to fulfill our philosophy, the Johnston County Public Schools Exceptional Children Program seeks to consistently:
- Identify the needs of each student with a disability and to develop an Individualized Education Program to meet those needs.
- Assure that students with disabilities are educated in settings with their non-disabled peers to the maximum extent appropriate.
- Be cognizant of and protect the rights of students with disabilities and their parents in developing programs and services to meet their needs.
- Hold special education services to high standards of accountability to improve results for students with disabilities.
- Provide training and support for all educators to have the knowledge and skills which enables them to effectively assist students with disabilities in attaining high standards.
- Eliminate unnecessary referrals to special education and assure that students unnecessarily placed, or who no longer require special education services, are returned to a supportive general educational environment.
The Johnston County Public Schools Exceptional Children Program is committed to providing a free appropriate education designed to meet the unique needs of students with disabilities. The Exceptional Children Program will provide the support and related services necessary to implement the educational program and assure that students' and parents' rights are followed in this process.
North Carolina Department of Public Instruction (NCDPI) Exceptional Children Division
For more information contact:
Director of Exceptional Children