School Workout Information
All workouts will be conducted keeping the health and safety of student athletes and staff in mind. Workouts will be held in compliance with the North Carolina High School Athletic Association’s (NCHSAA) 2020-2021 COVID-19/Modified Guidelines and will follow all guidance from the Johnston County Health Department.
Student athletes and parents will be required to complete forms prior to returning to workouts. A downloadable version of the required forms are below:
- 2020-2021 Athletic Paperwork
- Acknowledgement of Risk, Waiver of Liability Regarding Voluntary Participation in Athletics
Screenings, which include a symptomatic questionnaire and a touchless temperature check, will take place daily.
Participation in workouts is optional for athletes. Athletes and parents should contact their school with specific workout questions and to obtain necessary paperwork, if needed.
Thank you for your patience as we work to safely resume our athletic activities.
Update for Middle School Athletics:
The North Carolina State Board of Education has changed their policy regarding interscholastic athletics. The new policy changes the grade level at which students may participate in Middle School Athletics. The change allows for 6th graders to participate in all athletics with the exception of Middle School Football. The policy does allow the local LEA to determine whether or not 6th graders may participate in Middle School Athletics. The Johnston County Board of Education discussed the policy change and decided that JCPS will follow the North Carolina State Board of Education's recommendation. Rising JCPS 6th graders interested in participating in middle school athletics will have to tryout for the team and will be expected to meet all standards and conditions that 7th and 8th grade students have met in the past.
Athletic Handbooks-The North Carolina High School Athletic Association Handbook, the Johnston County Schools' High School Athletic Handbook, and the Johnston County Public Schools' Middle School Handbook contain the constitutions, rules and regulations, and general information concerning interscholastic athletics in the high schools and middle schools. It is vital that every school administrator and coach become familiar with the contents of these handbooks.
Any faculty member having a question concerning athletic rules, regulations, and conduct should contact their school athletic director or Johnston County Public Schools' Director of Athletics. At the middle school level, Scholar-Athlete Awards are presented during each sports season.
- North Carolina High School Athletic Association Website
- MaxPreps website for North Carolina
- NCAA Eligibility Requirements
- The Role of the Parent in Sports - Free Online Resource
- 2017-2021 Conference Alignment
- Sports Physical Form 2020-21 (English/Spanish)
- 2020-2021 Gfeller Waller Concussion Statement Form English
- 2020-2021 Gfeller-Waller Concussion Statement/Form (Español)
- High School Coaches Athletic Handbook
- High School Student Athletic Handbook
- Middle School Athletic Manual DPI 2020-2021
- Middle School Coaches Athletic Handbook
- Middle School Student Athletic Handbook
- NCHSAA Eligibility Summary, Rules and Regulations Videos
- Student Athletic Insurance Information
- Transfer Policy