Degrees and Certifications:
Mrs. Julie Collins
Welcome to first grade! I have taught students in Cumberland, Wake, and Johnston County for almost 20 years. By far, Johnston County is my favorite! I am a graduate of UNC at Pembroke and received my Masters degree from Grand Canyon University. My husband and I have two children and live in Benson.
First Grade Schedule
8:50-9:00 - Morning Meeting
9:00-9:45 - Reading Whole Group
9:45-10:45 - Reading Small Groups
10:50-11:45 - Enhancements
11:45 - 12:25 - FUNdations
12:25 - 12:55 - Lunch
1:00-1:45 - Writer’s Workshop
1:45-2:15 - Recess
2:15-3:35 - Math
- Update your parent volunteer status on the JCPS website. School volunteers must be approved each year.
- Please be mindful of checking your child out from school early or arriving late to school. Students should have a doctor or dentist appt. to arrive late or leave early. Too many tardies or check-outs will not allow your child to qualify for perfect attendance.
- Send a small (one item) snack and water bottle (or light color drink- no red, blue, or purple) to school each day. We will have approximately 5 minutes to have a quick snack in the mornings.
- Sign your child’s agenda each night. Your child will have a green smiley face if they have followed class and school rules. A yellow “straight” face if s/he has had difficulty following class rules. If on red, there will be a note from your child explaining what happened during the day.
- Homework for September will be sent home on Sept. 9. Just skip the math part for the days before then.
Upcoming Events/Dates to Remember…
- Friday, Sept. 20- Progress Reports go home
- Friday, Sept. 27- No school for students- teacher workday
Johnston County Public Schools will begin using Here Comes the Bus in the 2019-2020 school year! Here Comes the Bus is a school bus tracking app that gives parents real-time bus location information and alerts to get students to the bus stop on time. The app is expected to roll out by the first day of school, August 26...
The Johnston County Education Foundation has changed its grant process from a three cycle a year process, to a once a year process. The grant deadline will now be November 15th each year and Grant Patrol will be held on the first Wednesday of December.