- Read poem carefully. At least twice.
- Look up any unknown words and define them.
- Label rhyme scheme.
- Identify figurative language (simile, metaphor, personification, hyperbole, imagery)
- Identify sound devices (repetition, alliteration, assonance, consonance, onomatopoeia)
- Make notes about meaning and write any questions you might have.
- Consider word choice. Circle words that seem important. Do they have the same tone (happy, sad, enthusiastic?)
- Label other characteristics of the poem.
- Reread the poem.
After annotating, answer these questions:
- What is the theme of the poem?
- What poetic elements does the poet use to convey the theme?
- What is the mood of the poem?
- What poetic elements does the poet use to convey mood?
- How does figurative language impact the poem?