Tuition will be charged to students in the following categories:
- Pupils who are not domiciliaries of North Carolina, regardless of current residence. Definition of "domicile" is "one's fixed place of dwelling, where one intends to reside permanently."
- Pupils who are domiciliaries of North Carolina but do not reside within Johnston County.
- Pupils who temporarily reside in Johnston County who are domiciliaries of North Carolina but are not domiciliaries of Johnston County and who do not intend, or whose parents or legal guardians do not intend to make their permanent legal domicile in Johnston County.
- Pupils who reside on a military or naval reservation within North Carolina and who are not domiciliaries of North Carolina.
The following categories of pupils are exempt from the requirement to pay tuition, regardless of their domiciliary status:
- Pupils who are placed in or assigned to a group home, foster home, or other similar facility or institution within Johnston County.
- Pupils entering from a school unit with reciprocal arrangements. Tuition may not be charged to any such pupil if there is a written student assignment agreement between the Johnston County Board of Education and the board of education in the administrative unit in which the pupil is domiciled which specified that payment of tuition shall not be required.
- Pupils whose parents or legal guardians are employees of the Johnston County Board of Education.
Tuition students must meet the following requirements for admission:
- Submit an application form completed by the parent or guardian and the last report card received by the student.
- Present a planned course of study for the current or coming year if a secondary student.
- Pay the tuition fee as established by the Board for the school term. (per pupil local expenditure reported by the N. C. Schools Statistical Profile Report.)
- Furnish transcript and other student record data including evidence of compliance with North Carolina immunization requirements.
- Present evidence that the student has not completed the prescribed course for graduation from high school.
- The pupil is in good standing at the last school attended.
- Space is available after all students domiciled in Johnston County who desire to enroll have been served.
- Pay the tuition fee as established by the board for the school term.
- Tuition for a quarter or a semester must be paid prior to a student's first day in school. Subsequent quarter or semester payments must be made prior to the start of the quarter or semester.
- Any parent who has not paid tuition within 10 days of the required date will have the enrollment revoked and must enroll the student in the home attendance area. The student will not be eligible for tuition enrollment for future school years.
- All Tuition must be paid through the online platform Tuition Payments (For the 2020-2021 School Year).
Note: Tuition must be paid prior to a student's enrollment in the school requested.
Tuition fees for 2019-20 are payable in full ($1,903.00), be semester ($951.50), or quarters ($475.75).
Payment Dates 2020-2021:
- Paying Yearly: August 19, 2020
- Paying Quarterly: August 19, 2020, October 22, 2020, December 18, 2020, March 12, 2021
- Paying Semester: August 19, 2020, December 18, 2020
The Superintendent shall develop and be responsible for administering a system to determine the domiciliary status of each pupil desiring to attend the schools for the purpose of determining qualifications for admission and applicability of tuition rates. Final decisions by the Superintendent regarding domiciliary status may be appealed to the Board.
For questions contact Dr. David Pearce, Area Assistant Superintendent - (919) 934-6032 x 8012.