Inclement Weather Procedure
Reminder to Parents of Students in JCPS
During extremely bad weather, it sometimes becomes necessary for a decision to be made concerning the closing of schools. When a decision is made in the early morning that schools will close for the day, it must be relayed quickly to all pupils and parents. In order to accomplish this task efficiently and with maximum coverage, school officials are asking all pupils and parents to cooperate by following the suggestions listed below:
1. For an announcement concerning school closing, tune in to one of the following area radio or television stations:
• WQDR 94.7 FM • WKIX 96.9 FM • WRAL 101.5 FM • WAGO 88.7 FM • WRDU 106.1 FM • WPTF 680 AM • WCKB 780 AM • WKJO 102.3 FM • WTSB 1090 AM • WHPY 1590 AM • WQOK 97.5 FM • WNCN-TV17 • WARZ-TV 35 • WTVD-TV 11 • Spectrum News • WRAL-TV 5 • WUVC-TV 40 • WNCT-TV 9
2. A decision to delay or close schools will be announced by 6:00 am. A ConnectEd message will be sent notifying parents of this decision, in addition to notifying the media outlets listed above.
3. Do not telephone the weather bureau, radio or television stations, newspaper offices, school officials, or school offices. Calls to these offices will result in "clogged" lines and will hinder communication. Announcements will reach you via ConnectEd, radio, and television. Information will also be posted on the school system webpage, school websites, the JCS Facebook page, and the JCS Twitter page.
4. The absence of any announcement indicates that the schools will open as usual.
5. Parents of younger children should have a supervision plan for their children in case school is dismissed early.