• The information provided here is primarily for current Johnston County Public Schools employees. If you have any questions, please contact Human Resource Services at 919-934-6032 ext. 8036.


    The Johnston County Public Schools Employee Handbook is designed to provide information and address questions regarding required Board of Education policies and procedures so that every Johnston County Public Schools employee is able to perform his or her job more effectively. Every employee shall read the JCPS Employee Handbook and acknowledge understanding of the information contained in it by signing the JCPS Policy Awareness Assurance Form.

    Address or Telephone Number Change Request

    In order to keep your personnel file up to date with our office, please submit this address and telephone change form to Human Resource Services. The form is electronic and will be used to update your information in personnel and payroll, and will be used for emergency notifications.

    Employee Assistance Program

    BHS is a national Employee Assistance and Workplace Wellness Provider with over 30 years experience improving the health of employees and their family members.  BHS specializes in providing high-quality counseling, work-life balance and crisis support services to meet the demands of today's challenges.  These services are available 24/7 and are free and confidential to all employees and members of their household.  You can contact BHS anytime by calling 800-327-2251.

    BHS also has resources online available to our Johnston County Public School Employees.  Log into www.bhsonline.com.  Access online resources by choosing MY BHS PORTAL.  The username will be jcps.

    If you have any questions about this service, contact the Human Resources department of Johnston County Public Schools at 919-934-6031.

    There is also an additional resource provided by the NC Department of Health and Human Services called Hope4NC for employees who may be dealing with feelings of hopelessness.

    Employee Discounts

    The local business community wants to thank you for all that you do for the students in Johnston County. We are providing this comprehensive list of business and service providers who have agreed to give all JCPS employees a discount over their regular prices and/or fees. Johnston County Public Schools does not endorse any of these vendors or service providers. Please visit this site often as the discounts may change.

    To redeem any discount, you must identify yourself as a JCPS Employee and produce your employee ID badge. If you have any questions about these benefits please contact Human Resource Services; 919-934-6032, ext. 8048.

    Employee Leave Agreements

    Any employee who needs to take a leave of absence (6 or more days) for personal or professional reasons should submit a request for leave. Contact Nairoby Cornwall at 919-934-6032, ext. 8042 or Sonya Grice at 919-934-6032, ext. 8037 if you have any questions.

    Employee of the Month

    Know someone in the school district's workforce who goes above and beyond the call of duty? If so, then please take this opportunity the nominate that person for Employee of the Month. All full-time and part-time permanent JCPS employees may be nominated by a fellow employee, parent, or member of the community. Winners receive a $50.00 gift certificate from Wachovia/Wells Fargo Foundation, a Certificate of Appreciation from Johnston County Public Schools, and are recognized at the monthly Johnston County Board of Education meeting. Nominations are made online and must be received by the 25th day of each month.


    Employee Self-Service

    Access your Continuing Education Employee History information. This will allow you to see what is currently on file with Central Services with respect to your demographic information and renewal credits.

    Health Certificate

    All new employees are required to have a physical, including a TB test, within the first 30 days of employment. The Health Exam Requirement Form is provided during the new hire sign-up appointment.

    Hepatitis B Vaccination

    Want a Hepatitis B vaccination? Use the Hepatitis B Vaccination Registration Form to make an appointment at one of five local health care centers. -- *Users must log in using their Johnston County Public Schools email accounts before completing the form.

    Inclement Weather

    In case of school cancellation or early dismissal due to inclement weather, it is important that all staff members clearly understand the options related to the work day. For detailed information visit the inclement weather page.

    Name Change Procedures

    Several forms must be updated in the event that an employee changes his/her name. Please contact Human Resource Services at 919-934-6032 ext. 8036 regarding the employee name change procedure.


    The resignation form is available at your school or at the Human Resource Services office. Employees should complete the form and return it to the Chief of Human Capital by courier from your school or by mail. Once reviewed, a copy is sent to your former principal. Please note that certified employees are required to provide 30 days notice prior to resignation.

    You will receive a letter verifying receipt and acceptance of your resignation, along with information on completing an exit survey. Please complete the survey so that we may use the data in our efforts to continuously improve Johnston County Public Schools.

    Tax Forms

    To change your income tax deductions, you must submit an updated W-4 (federal) and NC-4 (state) withholding form to Human Resource Services.

    Transfer Requests

    Requests for transfer must be renewed each year to ensure active and current intent. To request or renew a transfer request, complete the online transfer request form no later than June 15th of the current year.

    Once submitted, the request is reviewed and approved by Human Resources. Once approved, your request is entered into our database and a notification email is sent to both you and your current supervisor/principal. The transfer database is shared with principals/supervisors, and they are notified as new requests are made.

    Voluntary Shared Leave (VSL)

    Individuals who would like to request VSL should complete the application VSL Form and return it to Human Resource Services. Once the committee has reviewed your request, you will be notified of their decision.

    Individuals who would like to donate VSL should complete a Donor's Request Form and return it to Human Resource Services.