JOHNSTON COUNTY SCHOOLS
CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT PLAN
2011 – 2012
VISION: Empowering all students to become successful in a global society.
Administrative Services (AS)
Curriculum & Instruction (CIA)
Facility Services (FS)
Financial Services (F)
Human Resources (HR)
Public Relations (PR)
Superintendent/School Improvement (S)
All Johnston County School facilities will provide a safe, clean, caring, orderly and positive environment that supports and is conducive to learning.
Objective 1 - The district will provide a safe and orderly environment for learning.
- Review annually a revised REMS crisis management plan from each school. (AS)
- Train annually all elementary, vocational and science employees in OSHA standards. (CIA)
- Provide annually blood borne pathogens training for all staff. (FS)
- Conduct monthly and unannounced safety inspections for adherence to OSHA guidelines. (FS)
- Ensure that fire drills take place each calendar month in accordance with G.S.115C-288. (FS)
- Implement the District Alternative Education/Safe and Orderly School Plan. (CIA)
- Update, publish, and train in the use of the Student Code of Conduct. (AS)
- Document annually accidents occurring in schools. (CIA)
- Assist with and support non-violent crisis intervention training for all school staffs. (CIA)
- Maintain an internet filter that blocks access to inappropriate websites. (FS)
- Continue to develop and maintain effective relationships with Johnston County Emergency Management Services, local law enforcement, and fire departments. (AS)
- Provide the opportunity for all employees to receive Hepatitis B vaccinations. (HR)
- Implement the District School Health Advisory Council Action Plan. (CIA)
- Implement the drug-free school plan as outlined in the Safe and Drug-Free Schools Grant. (CIA)
- Continue visits to schools by Superintendent and the Senior Staff to monitor effective operations and reinforcement of a positive school climate. (S)
- Provide monthly safety topics to all employees. (HR)
- Review Worker’s Compensation data to inform principals and supervisors of safety concerns and suggestions for improvement. (HR)
- Provide information regarding wellness programs for staff. (HR)
Objective 2 - The district will provide clean facilities for learning.
- Review and assure inclusion in SIP of objectives focusing on clean facilities (FS)
- Train annually all custodial, child nutrition, and bus driver employees in current cleaning trends and techniques and OSHA standards. (FS)
- Inspect school facilities, school buses, and activity buses monthly for cleanliness. (FS)
Objective 3 - The district will provide a positive and caring environment for learning.
- Information Liaisons will be established at each school and trained to submit positive news to the Public Information Office. (PR)
- Provide training and assistance for schools implementing Positive Behavior Support and discipline with dignity. (CIA)
- Maintain compliance with all Federal Regulations. (AS)
- Acknowledge achievements of students and staff members. (PR)
- Work with employees requesting various types of leave to best utilize their leave benefits. (HR)
- Provide all staff with information regarding district-provided benefits. (HR)
- Update benefits information on the website as needed. (HR)
Goal One Measures
ü Obtain or exceed an 80% customer satisfaction rate regarding climate on the district customer satisfaction survey.
ü Improve kitchen sanitation grades until 80% of the school kitchens have a rating of 100% or better.
ü Increase to 80% or better the percentage of schools showing a decrease in out-of-school suspensions.
ü Maintain zero percent of successful complaints regarding compliance with Title IX regulations.
ü Increase the number of nominations for Employee of the Month by an average of 2%
ü Decrease the number of Worker’s Compensation claims by 1%
ü Maintain or increase number of students and employees recognized through website, media, and board of education (1,800 plus per year).
All Johnston County School students will demonstrate high levels of character, academic growth and achievement.
Objective 1 - The district will provide engaging, relevant and rigorous learning experiences that produce positive student results while addressing the individual needs of students in order for them to be college and workplace ready for the 21st Century.
- Support innovative scientifically research based instructional programs. (CIA)
- Assist each school in developing and implementing a continuous improvement process (School Improvement Plan). (CIA)
- Provide support and monitor progress for all student subgroups (e.g. NCLB, AIG, etc.) (CIA)
- Provide support for the implementation of state and local assessments and the analysis of the results. (CIA)
Objective 2 - The district will support initiatives that will insure all students will progress to the next grade each year and graduate from high school on time.
- Develop and support a continuum of K-12 interventions to prevent children from becoming at risk and address the needs of students already identified as at-risk. (CIA)
- Assess and provide training and support for successful implementation of local, state, and federal policies and programs affecting promotion, retention, and graduation. (CIA)
- Assist in the development and implementation of Title I Schools and LEA Improvement initiatives. (CIA)
- Implement Project GRADUATE to provide an avenue for potential senior drop outs to graduate through an alternate path. (CIA)
Goal Two Measures
ü Increase the percent of schools meeting AYP each year until all schools meet AYP.
ü Improve District K-2 Assessment data each year until all schools are at or above 80% proficiency.
ü Increase the percent of Schools of Distinction and Schools of Excellence each year until all schools are recognized.
ü Increase the percent of schools meeting ABC growth each year until all schools meet expected growth or better.
ü Continue to increase the combined percentage of the aggregate number of CTE performance indicators met toward the goal of 100%.
ü Increase the percent of AMAOs met each year until all objectives are met.
ü Increase the percent of customers satisfied with student learning experiences as measured by the district customer satisfaction survey each year until 80% satisfaction or better is achieved.
ü Increase the AYP Graduation Cohort Rate to 100%.
ü Continuously reduce dropouts at grades 7 - 8.
ü Improve each year the Exceptional Children's Program as measured by the CIPP.
ü Continuously reduce the percent of students being reported on the UNC admissions report who have to enroll in remedial courses.
ü Increase each year the percent of students passing the Accuplacer test administered by the school system.
All Johnston County Schools will be provided the resources to meet the needs of all stakeholders.
Objective 1 - The district will utilize the Baldrige model in continuous improvement efforts.
- Utilize the core values for strategic and operational processes. (S)
Objective 2 - The district will use effective techniques to recruit and retain a quality workforce.
- Collect and analyze new hire data to inform recruitment efforts. (HR)
- Utilize all available candidate pools to ensure that vacancies are filled in a timely manner. (HR)
- Utilize electronic recruiting as appropriate. (HR)
- Assure that all employees meet appropriate employment qualifications. (HR)
- Advocate for continued efforts to increase the local salary supplement for certified staff. (HR)
- Advocate for funding to revise and enhance the classified salary and longevity scales. (HR)
- Provide information to principals regarding school-based turnover and data obtained from exiting employees in order to assist them in reducing turnover. (HR)
- Support and/or provide high quality professional development that is in alignment with the district PD Framework to all employee groups that will enhance skills and increase knowledge. (HR)
- Provide leadership training for administrators, School Improvement Team chairs, teacher leaders, and classified employees in leadership positions. (HR)
- Assure awareness among employees of available wellness programs. (HR)
- Provide an effective Beginning Teacher Support Program for first year teachers. (HR)
Objective 3 - The district will provide quality facilities.
- Continue partnership with OREd to study land use and enrollment. (S)
- Evaluate current facility use in relationship to OREd projections. (FS)
- Study and become more involved in the discussions with local planning boards. (S)
- Utilize data and develop a facility needs plan that addresses the time frame for construction projects. (S)
- Draft and recommend to the Board of Education a comprehensive construction plan. (S)
- Communicate to County Commissioners school construction needs. (S)
- Establish recommendations with regard to funding alternatives such as bonds, COPS, build/lease, etc. (S)
Objective 4 - The district will develop and implement a comprehensive local budget and facilitate the development of individual school budgets.
- Review and evaluate school and central requests and prioritize according to need. (F)
- Make budget recommendation to the Board of Education. (S)
- Adjust budget request as directed by the Board of Education. (S)
- Submit budget request to county commissioners. (S)
- Adjust budget according to county, state, and federal allocations. (F)
- Determine equipment and supply allocations based on student membership and program needs. (F)
- Provide training for schools to maximize financial resources. (F)
- Provide monthly budget status reports to schools. (F)
- Assist schools in developing school budgets that mirror the school's needs identified in the SIP. (S)
- Audit school budget implementation and revision. (F)
- Determine staff allotments based on student membership and program needs. (HR)
- Provide professional development allotments to schools and departments based on teacher membership and department priorities. (HR)
- Assist schools in developing professional development school budgets that mirror the school’s needs as identified in the School Improvement Plan. (HR)
- Monitor the Medicaid Reimbursement program to insure the school system is reimbursed for any services covered by Medicare/Medicaid. (F)
- Monitor the participation rate on Medicaid reimbursement documentation to assure appropriate standards are met. (HR)
Goal Three Measures
ü Meet the goal of 100% highly qualified teachers in core academic subjects
ü Increase by 5% the positive response rate to Q8.1k regarding the evaluation of professional development offerings and communication of evaluation results on the Teacher Working Conditions Survey
ü Increase by 5% the positive response rate to Q8.1e regarding differentiation of professional development in the Teacher Working Conditions Survey
ü Increase the response average to 4.0 on item 4.10 of the district customer satisfaction survey regarding the offering of appropriate professional development opportunities by the district
ü Increase by 1% the number of teachers obtaining advanced degrees
ü Decrease by 1% the teacher turnover rate as measured by the Department of Public Instruction
ü Decrease by 3% the number of schools with teacher turnover rate greater than 15% as measured by Human Resources
ü Meet the goal of 0 teacher vacancies on the first day of school
ü Increase by .5% the percentage of certified employees participating in leadership development training
ü Maintain a 100% participation rate by lead classified staff in leadership training
ü Maintain a 93% survey completion rate on the Random Moment Time Study
ü Product: Modified Facilities 2014 Plan
ü Product: 2011-12 Comprehensive Budget
ü Review and monitor the efficiency rate for utilities.
All Johnston County School leaders will encourage and promote family, community and business involvement.
Objective 1 - The district will promote a climate that fosters community engagement.
- The district will conduct focus group meetings with faith based organizations, parents, law enforcement, business leaders, and local government officials. (PR)
- School Improvement Plans will include strategies for the development and use pf active partnerships with faith based organizations, law enforcement, local government officials, parents, and business leaders to promote community involvement in their schools. (PR)
- The Johnston County Education Foundation will continue to solicit business and community support to provide funding for grants, scholarships, etc. (PR)
- Community support will be improved through the practice of “transparency” in district budget and operational processes. (PR)
- The district will recognize individuals, businesses, and organizations that actively partner with our schools. (PR)
- Continue to support the concepts of Parent Advisory Councils, PTA/PTO, Booster parents, etc. (PR)
- Promote the use of volunteers as appropriate. (PR)
- Maintain an up-to-date and informative website that provides information to the community regarding the school system. (PR)
- School Improvement Plans will contain strategies for improved communications with parents, staff, and students. (PR)
- Maintain business partnerships through the Employees Discount program. (HR)
- Maintain business sponsorship of recognition programs. (HR)
- The district will implement and maintain IHE partnerships to support the vision and mission of the school system. (HR)
- The district will promote parent involvement in the schools and in the lives of their children. (CIA)
Objective 2 - The district will provide communication tools for schools to use with staff, students, parents and community.
- The district website, school websites, Time Warner Cable, media releases, print, email, and Connect Ed will be used to communicate with parents, students, staff, and the community. (PR)
- Principals will be provided Ambassador Tips sheets for improved communications strategies. (PR)
- Assist schools with the development of Quick Fact Sheets. (PR)
- Develop print and online publications to communicate district and school expectations and accomplishments. (PR)
- School Improvement Plans will include strategies for improved communications with parents, staff, and students. (PR)
- Maintain web site listing of employee discounts (HR)
Goal Four Measures
ü Staff satisfaction will be at 80%
ü Parent satisfaction will be at 80%
ü JCEF scholarship and grant awards will increase by 2%
ü 100% of SIT plans will include strategies for improving involvement
ü Staff satisfaction will be at 80% on the customer satisfaction survey regarding school use of communication tools.
ü Parent satisfaction will be at 80% on the customer satisfaction survey regarding school use of communication tools.