Lateral Entry Educators
Lateral Entry is an alternative route to teaching for qualified individuals outside of the public education system. Lateral Entry allows qualified individuals to obtain a teaching position and begin teaching right away, while obtaining a license as they teach.

Lateral Entry licenses are issued for three years. The educator will be required to associate with an accredited college/university or The Regional Alternative Licensing Center (RALC) to have a plan of study issued for the license area they are seeking.  All coursework required for the Lateral Entry license must be completed by the end of the three years. NCDPI will not extend a lateral license beyond three years.

New State policy requires lateral entry licensed teachers (including elementary and special education) to "ATTEMPT" required State test(s) during their first year of teaching and "PASS" all required State test(s) by the end of their second year. 

All requirements must be met within the three year time period that the license is issued regardless if the teacher continues employment with a school system. If a teacher does not meet the lateral entry licensure requirements by the time the license expires, they are not eligible for another lateral entry license until they pass the required test(s) for the specialty area in which the license is issued and until at least six years have passed from the initial lateral license.
A lateral entry license can only be applied for by a school system and requires the employee to pay a non-refundable licensure processing fee of $100 payable by VISA or Mastercard.
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2017 West Corporation. All rights reserved.