Procedures and Requirements
Enrollment procedures and requirements vary from district to district and state to state. Please carefully read the information below to make the enrollment process a smooth and successful experience.
If you are unsure of your attendance area, click the GIS link below:
GIS Instructions: Under the "Layers" tab (located at the bottom left hand side of the page) click the "+" to expand "Schools," and then select the appropriate grade level. At the top of the page select "Locate" then select "Address" from the drop down and enter your address (House Number and Street Name).
*Note: For addresses residing on or near boundary lines, please contact JCS Transportation Services at 919-934-8340 to determine which attendance area your residence officially falls under.
Contact the school directly to schedule an appointment to enroll your child. (Click here for a school directory)
Policy Code 4150 - Requirements for School Enrollment; Other Than Kindergarten
Documentation required at the time of enrollment:
- Proof of Residency - proof of home ownership, signed lease agreement, utility bill (gas, water, electric, cable), bank statements and payroll stubs addressed to residence.
- Proof of Age - birth certificate, hospital certificate, etc.
- Grade Placement - withdrawal form, transcript, or report card.
- Immunization Record - must meet NC immunization requirements and the Board of Education's immunization policy.
- Photo I.D. - Photo I.D. of person enrolling.
(Please click here to read kindergarten enrollment information.)
In an effort to ensure that the unique needs of military-connected students are met, Session Law 2014-15 requires the North Carolina State Board of Education and the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction to collect information on military-connected students. The goal is to help accommodate these students by providing them with support and consistency when their parents are deployed, when they are transitioning between schools, and at other pivotal times during their academic career. Parents of affected students must complete the Military–Connected Students Reporting Form (view in Español).